‘Your companion’

Tracy Niven
Sunday 15 March 2020

Greetings,

Many people on the Chaplaincy mailing list will know that in Advent a daily Advent Calendar pops into your inbox, with a reflection.  It could be a picture, a video, a poem or some music.  I know that, in December, this Calendar has provided some welcome space to meditate on the season, or to take a break from work or study.  I also know that it helps readers feel part of the Chaplaincy community, whether revising hard in the library, in the midst of personal difficulties, or even long-graduated from the University.

And so I have decided that in the current season, I (or others in the Chaplaincy) will try to send a daily message to the Chaplaincy mailing list.  We are all conscious that these are extraordinary times.  As it is, many people have to stay indoors, and even for those who can go out, there are fewer events at which to meet.  Isolation is usually something which we in the Chaplaincy try to combat – through offering times for worship, prayer, discussion groups, social gatherings and face-to-face pastoral care.  I am acutely aware that for some of the people we support, isolation can be unhealthy, withdrawing from the contacts which usually encourage better mental health.  And so, at least in this small way, a daily message will help us feel connected.  You are always welcome to reply by email, and continue the conversation.

This daily email will also give us in the Chaplaincy a regular and frequent chance to let you know of any changes to Chaplaincy events.  It is currently the spring vacation, and so there are no scheduled Chapel services or discussion groups today or for the next two weeks.  But of course, as part of the University we will be reviewing all our activities – news of this will appear in these emails, on our facebook page and website.  Already cancelled is the Chaplain’s Conversation with Dharini Balasubramaniam, which was scheduled for Monday 30 March.  The University’s current advice can be found here: https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/coronavirus/

The Chaplaincy remains available for support for students and staff.  For now, that may be our usual support, meeting in my office or Sam’s office.  But it could also be a phone call, facetime or skype call, as well as email communication.  Feel free to get in touch if you’d like to talk, in confidence, about any issue, whether or not related to coronavirus, regardless of your faith or philosophy of life.  Simply reply to this email (which will come direct to my inbox), or contact the Chaplaincy office at [email protected]

As for the name for these messages, I have tried to find an antonym for isolation.  Companionship seems the best.  Companions are friends – and again, the Chaplaincy seeks to foster friendship in much that we do – from our International Students Befriending Scheme to Turning Pages, our staff discussion group.  But the etymology of companion may also be helpful.  Literally it means “one who breaks breads with another”.  Christians do this in communion, and many faiths include shared meals as significant parts of their common life.  And indeed, eating alone can be one of the hardest things about isolation.  And so let us be companions, at least in writing and reading together.

These messages will include poetry, pictures, music, prayers and more.  Let me finish this first Companionship message with an image from Friday night’s concert in the Chapel, given by the Madrigal Group.  They sang wonderfully, joyfully, and movingly – as I wondered when I’d next hear a concert there.  I snapped them in the midst of song:

And here is a link to the Madrigal Group singing their signature song, Frobisher Bay, in 2013.  Nostalgic for me to see so many companions from back then.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3DHJij_L4M

Somehow the mood of the song on Friday found an echo in me.  It may be early spring in Scotland, but this song of winter captures something of the separation about which many are concerned just now.

Cold is the arctic sea
Far are your arms from me
Long will this winter be
Frozen in Frobisher Bay
Frozen in Frobisher Bay

I hope that companionship – kind, friendly, wise – will be the hallmark of this season.  Please let us know in the Chaplaincy how we can help.

Yours,
Donald.