‘Spring in isolation’

Tracy Niven
Monday 16 March 2020

Good morning,

Thank you for the positive responses to yesterday’s first Companionship email.  I hope this small attempt to counteract the effects of isolation strikes a chord.  Feel free to forward this to anyone you’d like.  They are welcome to ask to be added to the Chaplaincy mailing list.  Or if you don’t want these emails, let us know and we will unsubscribe you.

One member of the mailing list pointed out this excellent facebook group –  the St Andrews Covid-19 Mutual Aid Facebook group:  https://www.facebook.com/groups/644757139646400/  There are great ideas there for supporting our neighbours at this time.

Yesterday, the Principal wrote to students and staff with the news that “face to face teaching and supervision is suspended and that teaching and assessment will be delivered online for the remainder of this semester.”  She also said that we will get through these challenging times “with kindness, care, and consideration.”  Let me echo these words for all within and beyond the University community.

Yesterday, I took a walk in lovely afternoon sunshine along the Lade Braes.  Nature may be capable of generating coronaviruses, but it also produces the beautiful spring bulbs the walkers enjoyed yesterday, daffodils and blue flowers.  I’m no botanist, but I wonder if they are Chionodoxa also known as glory-of-the-snow.  Any thoughts?

Perhaps already I am slowing down because of the situation, attending more to variety and richness of creation, listening more to the voices of others.  I am sure there is an immense amount we will learn as these days continue.

You are welcome to get in touch with thoughts, reflections, or if you’d like a chat.

Yours,
Donald.