‘St Patrick’s Day’

Tracy Niven
Tuesday 17 March 2020

Happy St Patrick’s Day!

In my very brief career as a tutor for first year theology students at Trinity College Dublin, I taught Early Irish Church History for a term.  I was, literally, one week ahead of the students most of whom at least had the advantage of being Irish.  But one of the highlights was reading the extant works by St Patrick, including his Confession.  The Confessio is a terrific piece of writing, addressed to God, infused with scripture, with a deep spirituality, some tantalising scraps of historical information, and a frustrating haziness over dates and names.  It is worth a read, and time to read is something that many of us now have a little more of.

It begins uncompromisingly:

I am the sinner Patrick.  I am the most unsophisticated of people, the least of Christians, and for many people I am the most contemptible.

He describes being taken as a captive probably from Britain into slavery in the north of Ireland when about 16 years old.  He seems to have been a Christian even then.  He made his escape after some years, though it involved danger and near starvation.  After a second enslavement, he found his way home to his parents.  But there, he felt God calling him to return to Ireland to “come again and walk among us.”  He did so, and despite many trials and difficulties, and a lot of criticism, he persevered in preaching the gospel, baptizing thousands.

Towards the end, he makes a closing declaration:

Behold, now ‘I commend my spirit’ to my ‘most faithful God’ ‘whose ambassador I am’ in my unworthiness. 

It is said that soon after arriving, probably in 432, he composed the hymn I bind unto myself today.  Written in Irish, it is sometimes known as a lorica, or a breastplate.  The legend states that Patrick lit a fire to celebrate Easter one night near Tara in present-day Co. Meath, which angered the High King of Ireland King Laoghaire, who was holding a pagan festival ten miles away.  He sent soldiers to destroy the Christians’ fire, but as they approached they heard Patrick and his people singing I bind unto myself today the strong name of the Trinity.  And apparently the King’s soldiers mistook the Christians for deer in the darkness by their fire, and so the hymn has become known as The Cry of the Deer.  Here it is being sung in Down Cathedral, Downpatrick, Co. Armagh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH4ToVxtn9A

One verse seems particularly apt today:

I bind unto myself today
The power of God to hold and lead,
His eye to watch, his might to stay,
His ear to hearken to my need,
The wisdom of my God to teach,
His hand to guide, his shield to ward,
The word of God to give me speech,
His heavenly host to be my guard.

As this verse understands, Christians do not pray to be protected from danger, but to be accompanied in it.  After all, Do not be afraid is said over and over again in scriptures, even in fearful circumstances.

Here is a lovely image of St Patrick in stained glass by Harry Clarke (born on St Patrick’s Day 17 March 1889, died in 1931), the fine Irish artist of the arts and crafts movement.  It is in St Joseph’s Catholic Church, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan.

Since last writing there have been further changes to government and University instructions.  The Chaplaincy staff are now working from home, and it is clear that all regular chapel services of worship are suspended until further notice.  However, both St Salvator’s Chapel and Mansefield remain open for private prayer and meditation.  Please feel free to go in for these purposes, maintaining the now normal practices of hand sanitising and keeping a suitable distance from others.  For Mansefield you will need your swipecard to enter.

I have also been contacted by friends of the Chaplaincy to say that they would be more than happy for anyone to come and chill (possibly literally, depending on the weather) outside in their grounds for an hour or so and enjoy the arrival of spring and birdsong (as there are masses of birds). The family there would keep a safe distance away, but would be happy to provide tea/coffee in disposable cups which could be deposited in the appropriate bin at the top of the drive on the way back to the bus stop – route 97.  If you are interested in taking up this kind offer of their space, let me know and I can put you in touch.

Thanks for all your responses and ideas so far.  Keep them coming.  And let me reiterate that Chaplains, including Sam and me, are available to support any in this University community, on the phone or by laptop.  Microsoft Teams work!  Just get in touch

Yours,
Donald.