‘Big woolly hugs’

Linda Bongiorno
Monday 6 April 2020

Dear Friends

Welcome to Monday’s Chaplaincy Companionship email.

I pray that it finds you well and coping with what has become the ‘new normal’. Staying home and staying well are our top priorities and we are finding ways to manage.

Here at the Chaplaincy work continues as normal with pastoral support offered by both Donald and myself, along with our Honorary Chaplains and wonderful Secretaries, Linda and Tracy. Please remember we are here to listen to all members of staff and students during these challenging times. Donald and I are always available for a chat or a team meeting over a cup of tea. You are not alone and we are here to support you regardless of religion, creed, denomination or philosophy of life. All are welcome.

The Chaplaincy are also creating new ways to bring you a unique slice of worship, St Sally’s style, with our Choir directed by Claire our Director of Chapel Music. Yesterday for our Palm Sunday service, the Choir performed remotely from all over the world the most beautiful rendition of Weelkes Anthem – Hosanna to the Son of David. You can watch it via the Chaplaincy’s Facebook page using this link: www.facebook.com/mansefield/. Click on the link and scroll down to the post.

Holy Week Chapel Services
Tonight at 9pm, we are starting our Holy Week program of services. Every day in these emails you will get a link to a zoom meeting. There will be a short form of worship with music, a reading and reflection from the Chaplains and our Honorary Chaplain team. Each of us will be looking at how our senses are engaged as we travel with Jesus through the days of Holy Week.

At tonight’s service of Compline, I shall be reflecting on smell with the story of Jesus, Mary and that infamous expensive bottle of perfume! Please do join us using the following invite:
www.zoom.us/j/269600422?pwd=S2NNWjlYRlVBODBLMUgrSEF3ejQyUT09
Meeting ID: 269 600 422
Password: 835395

Evening Prayer
I continue with saying Evening Prayer every day at 5pm and would love it if you could join me. If you want someone or some situation included in the prayers, please do not hesitate to email me [email protected].

This week, I shall be using Evening Prayers from the Northumberland Community established upon the Holy Isle. The link to the prayers is as follows: www.northumbriacommunity.org/offices/evening-prayer/

You access the readings for the day by scrolling down the page. It is a very different form of prayer from last week so enjoy the variance!

And lastly from your Crafty (Assistant) Chaplain…

A Big Woolly Hug from God
Over Spring Break, I was supposed to be on holiday enjoying the delights of sunny Bambrough. However, due to the blessed virus my week’s leave was spent at home. With little else to occupy my hands, heart and head apart from the wonders of Netflix and Dairy Milk, I went back to basics and blew the dust of my knitting needles.

Throughout my life in times of joy, pain, indifference and tragedy I have always knitted. I learnt as a child from my mum who could knit while watching television. A skill I have yet to acquire. She learnt to knit from her mother and so on. My daughter learnt to knit from me and, if I ever end up with grandbabies, I am sure they will carry on the family tradition.

Knitting is also a skill that I have used in my ministry. I have begun many crafting groups in the many churches I have had care of. There is something precious about watching people come together to knit and natter for an hour a week. We knitted simple squares which sewn together made giant blankets for the homeless. We knitted hats for seafarers and we knitted cardigans for stillborns. The offerings that were knitted during our time together in those crafting groups were always welcome. However, it was the relationships made during the process of knitting that meant the most to me. During this time of uncertainty, I now return to the familiar and the comforting.

What has been my project this time? Well, there is a knitting ministry that was started a few years ago. It is called ‘Prayer Shawls’. By following a simply pattern of knit and purl stiches you create a big woolly hug from God for someone you know who is struggling. You begin knitting with prayer for that person and you hold them in your mind throughout the project. As the shawl grows so does the love knitted in each loop and each stitch. It is a profound ministry that anyone with a pair of knitting needles and some random wool can offer. And those who receive such offerings are deeply touched and often moved to tears on receiving a simple offer of love.

If you have some time on your hands during our enforced time of rest, then may I suggest that you look at the pattern below? You may know of someone who is finding this time of isolation challenging. Could you offer them a big woolly hug from God, letting them know that they are remembered, they are loved, and they matter to you? If so, please follow the simple pattern. There are many YouTube videos out there on how to knit and remember it doesn’t have to be perfect, we all have a dropped stitch in us somewhere. Just pick up the needles and give it a try.

For more information about the origins of the Prayer Shawl ministry please follow this link: www.shawlministry.com/ 

Be blessed, be a blessing and remember, knit one pray one!

Samantha

The Original Prayer Shawl Knitting Pattern© 2016

Before You Begin:
Because this is a spiritual practice, before one begins the knitting process, blessing, prayer or wish can be said, dedicating the work of your hands and the intentions of the receiver.

You may want to light a candle and play soft music to enhance your knitting time, remembering that this is a prayerful time. When working in a group, you may want to pass the work-in-progress around the circle, asking each person to add some stitches to the shawl, or to just hold it for a while to add their prayers, energy and good wishes.

Using Size Needles 8 or 9
*Cast on stitches in multiples of three – 54, 57, or 60.

*First Row:
Knit 3, purl 3, to end

*Second Row:
Always start the next row with the opposite stitch of what you see.
For instance, if the first stitch on the needle is a knit, then start with a purl.
KNIT THE PURLS AND PURL THE KNITS!!! It should NOT look like ribbing.

To Complete the shawl:
Knit until the piece measures from wrist to wrist, or approximately 57-58″ long. Knitting: cast off with a knit row. Use what you have left to cut fringe

Now that the shawl is completed:
You may want to add beads and/or charms to the fringe.
They can be new or parts of old pieces of jewellery.

Before you give it away, say a blessing, prayer or wish over the shawl, keeping the receiver in mind. It is also good to enclose an explanation and/or a blessing, prayer or wish for the receiver.

Your Prayer Shawl
This shawl was made just for you
To bring comfort, To know you are loved, To share in your joy
This shawl is to wrap you up
When you’re cold, When you’re hurting
When you need to snuggle
This shawl was knitted With Blessings, With Love, With Prayers

Blessings
Sam