‘Prayers at the gate’

Tracy Niven
Sunday 26 April 2020

Greetings,

on Sunday morning.  A new week begins.  In common with all public buildings, churches are closed, and services are not taking place within their walls.  But some are still offering a physical location for prayer.  Holy Trinity Church of Scotland on South Street, St Andrews has a prayer gate.  People can write prayers on labels and attach them to the church gates – which others, as they pass, can read and echo if they wish. I passed the other day, and took this picture.

There are prayers here for carers, ambulance drivers, the NHS and others.

Prayer is a funny thing.  There are usually lots of prayers in church services, but I’m not sure everyone is praying these prayers.  My mind wanders in church prayers, sometimes even when I’m saying them.  But then a phrase really strikes me, and I’m right there, in the moment.

But many more people pray than attend religious services.  People pray in need, in thanksgiving, in sorrow, and when longing for a situation to change.  Some people don’t pray for themselves, but only for those they love.  Many people pray, unsure if and how it is effective, but somehow sensing it is good to place their lives and concerns in a context beyond us and our limited influence.

One thing prayer surely does is connect us with others who pray.  Covid-19 is a worldwide pandemic.  So here are some prayers from around the world and from different traditions.

A Christian Prayer from Pakistan
Humble request to my Lord.
Pray for people who are infected with COVID-19 or facing quarantine.
My Lord Jesus,
We are come to you very humble
During Your ministry on Earth You showed Your love by healing people of all ages and stations of life from physical, mental, and spiritual ailments.
O, Lord of Mercy,
Be present now to people who need Your loving touch because of COVID-19. They need Your power of healing through the care and treatment.
Kindly take away all fear, anxiety, and feelings of isolation from people receiving treatment. Protect their families and friends.
Dear Lord, we request for those people who are more likely than others to become severely ill from COVID-19 — the elderly and people with chronic health conditions. Protect them from harm and be their comfort in this time of uncertainty.
Amen

A medical oath attributed to the Jewish philosopher Maimonides:
The eternal providence has appointed me to watch over the life and health of Thy creatures. May the love for my art actuate me at all times; may neither avarice nor miserliness, nor thirst for glory or for a great reputation engage my mind; for the enemies of truth and philanthropy could easily deceive me and make me forgetful of my lofty aim of doing good to Thy children.
May I never see in the patient anything but a fellow creature in pain.
Grant me the strength, time and opportunity always to correct what I have acquired, always to extend its domain; for knowledge is immense and the spirit of man can extend indefinitely to enrich itself daily with new requirements. Today he can discover his errors of yesterday and tomorrow he can obtain a new light on what he thinks himself sure of today.
O, God, Thou has appointed me to watch over the life and death of Thy creatures; here am I ready for my vocation and now I turn unto my calling.

Hindu prayer from The Vedic Experience:
You, O Lord, are the body’s protector. Protect my body.
You, O Lord, are the giver of life. Grant life to me.
From You, O Lord, comes brilliance of mind. Illumine my mind. Whatever is lacking to my being, O Lord, supply that to me.

A prayer from The Path of Light by Santideva (Buddhist)
May I become a medicine for the sick and their physician, their support until sickness come not again.
May I become an unfailing store for the wretched, and be first to supply them with their needs.
My own self and my pleasures, my righteousness past, present and future, may I sacrifice without regard, in order to achieve the welfare of beings.

From the Qur’an, Sura 54.10 (Muslim)
He called upon his Lord, saying: Things overwhelm me: come to my help.

From the US Children’s National Chaplaincy Services: Prayers for Pagans
Bless this Day
May this day be blessed with gifts
Lessons, understanding and friends
May my energy be a gift to all I meet
Let me be centered, healing and open
May I face the day with courage
kindness, insight and compassion
May my spirit and body, honor this day.
~ Abby Willowroot © 1999 www.SpiralGoddess.com/Homage.html

Yours,
Donald.