‘Remembering and honouring’

Linda Bongiorno
Wednesday 28 October 2020

Dear Friends

This time of year always encourages me to hibernate.

I have learned to resist until Christmas comes.  Then I give in and give free reign to my desire to live in pyjamas, eat chocolate oranges for breakfast and watch endless reruns of Love Actually and Dirty Dancing.

Currently, before that precious week of indulgence, I find myself turning my thoughts inwards and to those whom I love but see no longer.  It is inevitable that this occurs when we spend next month remembering and honouring our war dead and saints who have died in the faith.

With the action of remembrance highlighting the pain of losing someone close to us, the Chaplaincy wish to support all who grieve.  We offer this support throughout the year with our Grief Group and one to one listening sessions.  For your reference, the next Grief Group will be held on Thursday, 29th October at 5.30 pm on Teams.  You can access the link here: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting

The Grief Group supports all students who are mourning a loved one.  This loss does not have to be a recent one, it may have occurred years ago, and the pain is still raw and real.

If this is where you are now, then please join us for a chat where we can listen and learn from one another how to live with grief.  All are welcome and please know that it is not a faith based or faith focused group.

All faiths and religions know that moments of change in life need to be acknowledged and celebrated.  Therefore, we have rituals that helps us say hello and goodbye to the ones we love – weddings, baptisms and funerals for example.

To help you give thanks for someone who has died and to offer you the dedicated space to remember them, we invite you to a Service of Thanksgiving held in St Salvator’s Chapel on Thursday, 5th November at 5.30 pm.  This service is open to those who are grieving the past or present loss of a loved one, friend or colleague.

This candlelight service is open to all, staff and students, town and gown.  The simple service of music and readings will offer time to reflect on what was, what is and what will be.

To attend in person, please reserve a place via the University Events page.  The service will also be live streamed and you can access that here :
https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/community/worship/.

I do hope you will join us in person or online.

Remember that there is much to celebrate even in these darkening days.  Remember too that should you be struggling with any faith issue or general life concerns, then we are always here at the Chaplaincy to listen and support.  Just email Donald or myself to arrange a time for a chat.

Blessings

Samantha