Ethics, Faith and the Climate Emergency

Tracy Niven
Wednesday 18 November 2020

Good morning,

Today’s Companionship is a reminder of an event happening later today.  It is a talk being given by Robin Attfield, of Cardiff University, called Ethics, Faith and the Climate Emergency.  Professor Attfield is one of the world’s leading thinkers on environmental ethics.  I recently finished his Very Short Introduction to the subject, which explores with great lucidity some of the key concepts we use – sustainability, preservation, stewardship, and obligations to other species and to generations yet unborn.  It’s a fascinating read and I think he’ll be a very helpful voice for anyone continuing to think about the climate crisis.  We had hoped to have him speak in the Chaplaincy, first in May, and now today, in tandem with visits he was making to speak with fellow Quakers and to other groups in Scotland.  Now, his speaking tour is remote – or as I prefer, remarkable.

The event will be on Teams, beginning at 7.30 pm (GMT) this evening.  It’s a simple click here: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting  Following his talk there will be a chance to ask any questions you may have.  I look forward to the event, which I will introduce.

Yours,
Donald.