Holy Saturday – 3 April

Linda Bongiorno
Monday 5 April 2021

Greetings,

It’s Holy Saturday, a day between Good Friday and Easter Day, when the body of Jesus lay in the tomb.  It was the sabbath, and nothing was done for him that day.  It is a profound thought for Christians, that the Son of God lay dead over three days and two nights.

This morning, I had a walk in the cemetery below St Andrews Cathedral.  I came upon this astonishing tomb.

I stepped down and looked in and disturbed a pair of nesting pigeons.  There was no sign as to who (if anyone) it was intended for.  I’ve seen it before, and often thought it bears a resemblance to the so-called garden tomb in Jerusalem, sometimes thought to be the place where Jesus’ dead body lay.

Certainly, in this morning’s light, the shadow of the cross (from a nearby gravestone) pointed unmistakably towards this empty tomb.  But celebration of that will come, for Christians, not on Holy Saturday but tomorrow, Easter Day.

There will be no service at St Mary on the Rock tomorrow (Sunday), but many churches have re-opened for worship, and St Salvator’s Chapel will be open for worship.   There will be music from St Salvator’s Chapel Choir and a sermon from me at both services.

Both services will be livestreamed and available to view afterwards.  See https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/community/worship/ for the links.

I look forward to worshipping together with congregations of students, staff, alumni and friends in the chapel for the first time this year tomorrow.  The time of waiting is nearly over.

Yours,

Donald.

Revd Dr Donald MacEwan

Chaplain