‘Happy St George’s Day’

Linda Bongiorno
Friday 23 April 2021

Happy St George’s Day!

To people from England, Ethiopia, Georgia and Catalonia amongst other places, St George is your patron saint, and venerated, at least in England, on 23 April.  This saint, it is believed, was born in the third century in Cappadocia (modern-day Turkey) and probably served as an officer in the Roman Army.  It is thought that he was martyred for his faith in the Diocletian persecution, in 303.  The best-known story about St George is first attested in the ninth century – that he rode into Silene (in modern-day Libya) to free the city from a dragon.  Images of him slaying the dragon became common in churches and illuminated manuscripts, an example of goodness in the face of danger and evil.

Sadly, we cannot visit Turkey or Libya at this time (unless already there).  But I thought I’d show a few images of George and the Dragon which I’ve seen on my own travels.

This is from the Coëvity Hours, a mid-15th century manuscript in the Chester Beatty Museum in Dublin, where I lived some 20 years ago.

The image below is a 19th century Russian icon which I saw in an Edinburgh gallery a few years ago:

And finally, from Georgia, this  fresco on the wall of the Church of the Assumption at Ananuri, visited about four years ago:

Whatever dragons we are battling, I hope we can find strength to face them with courage, steadfastness and hope.

Yours,

Donald.

Revd Dr Donald MacEwan

Chaplain